Yesterday we went to church. Not unusual since we always go on Sunday morning...this is not an option for us...the norm...I mean, it would be weird to wake up and ask "are we going to church today?"...ok, ok...off subject...
Anywho, we went to church and it was our Christmas program. In years past we all sought God about what our part would be and then our pastor put together a program that we followed. It was joyous and wonderful...or shall I say, it always IS joyous and wonderful.
Yesterday was no exception. This year, though, we did not each do something for the program...this year, our pastor felt as if God was telling him to invite our local mission over to give their testimonies and praise to God for what He is doing in their lives. Pastor heard from God...he was right on target here.
The local mission here is where men and women that were on the wrong path for their lives...drugs, alcohol, whatever the case may be...come and stay for an 8 month program. As they say, they don't come to talk about their problems, addictions, etc....they come to study the Word of God and to glorify Him for delivering them from all that junk. (And haven't we ALL been gloriously delivered from whatever it was that held us captive before we knew our life-changing Savior!)They came to church and it was life changing. We cried along with each one with gratitude as they gave glorious stories of deliverance and restoration from our GREAT GOD!!! What a Christmas to remember!!
After church, the Christmas dinner was at our new home...(I want to say right here how I believe on something....I believe that when God blesses us abundantly..like He did with this new home...that we have an obligation...not a burdensome one, but a willing, joyful spirit to use that specific blessing to bless others. Whatever God gives us...and He ONLY gives us GOOD things...we are to bless others with it. We truly shouldn't ask for something that we aren't willing to use for God's Glory. This is what I personally believe. It opens the door for Him to bless us more.)The church dinner was at our place and we invited the mission folks to come on over and eat with us and enjoy a day of football on the big screen.
I have got to tell you....it was a BLAST!!! These guys are so on fire for God for what He has done in their lives and they are SOOOO grateful for the love we all give them...BUT.....I and our church felt that we were more honored and blessed by them than they did by us, I think. What a joy!
We ate and ate and ate and talked and cheered for the teams we like. Sweetheart and I were truly honored to open up our home to others and to love on them and pamper them and wait on them....it was a great honor for God to allow us to do this.
It is so true. It IS more blessed to give than to receive. There isn't a feeling like it.
So if you have been blessed by God, share that somehow with others. Ask God how you can use what He has given you or put in you for His Glory. You truly will be blessed beyond measure!
You have me in tears this morning my friend. God is so good and your heart is so lovely and encouraging...what a wonderful day for you, and the people who were blessed by your open heart and home!!
ReplyDeleteI have been discovering this truth too - that is it more blessed to give than to receive. I'm so thankful for the blessings in my life, all given by God. I want to share those blessings with others.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post!
PS - I found your blog from your link on Women Living Well. :)