Friday, December 17, 2010

Who are you....Mary or Martha?

I have noticed a familiar tone as I go about reading and perusing my favorite blogs lately.....God is trying to tell us something......He is trying to tell us to STOP with all the frantic, pull our hair out, gotta get all this done.....stuff that we try and do this time of year.
Remember the Mary and Martha story? Remember how Mary sat at Jesus' feet and just soaked in His presence? She wasn't worried one bit about getting things done...she knew it would. On the other hand, there is Martha. Who can relate to her??? I can see the nods and all the hands go up...including mine. She was SO busy trying to get things done to entertain her guests, feed everyone (did you ever stop to think that the very one that multiplied the loaves and fishes could have done that at her house too?! just something to ponder!)...anywho, she didn't take time to sit with the Master. He was physically RIGHT THERE IN HER HOME!!! Can you just imagine?! Maybe she was the way she was because she was so flustered that He was there...maybe she didn't realize the magnitude of WHO was in her house....but I am sure of one thing...had she just stopped for a moment to soak in God, she would have had the peace that Mary did.
Jesus told her that Mary was choosing the needful thing...did you hear that? What is the needful thing? To sit and refresh and soak and get revived again with the joy of the Lord.....by the way, the joy of the Lord is our strength...another truth from God. Remember Matthew 6:33? Jesus said that when we seek the Kingdom of God (which I believe is what Mary was doing) then all the other things would be added to us.
Guess what, People?!! If Martha had just taken some time to be with Mary and Jesus, He would have made sure that she accomplished all that needed to be done.
The same goes for us...when we take the time for God....to spend alone time just with Him and His Word, we will get more done that day, we will be happier, more joyful moms and wives.
I make it a point to try to get up everyday before everyone else to have that time. I would suggest that to you. I am a morning person. Not everyone is. I am not saying that is mandatory....but what I am saying is that if we spend time with God BEFORE we start our day, then our day will be a good one. He gives us grace for our pace. He makes sure our time during the day is spent wisely.
Some days I don't get up...my body says.."stay in bed....sleep, sleep!" and sometimes that too is God speaking to us to get more rest. I guess those are the times we need to get to bed a bit earlier...but more often than not, I am up getting alone with God. My family will testify to you that this is CRUCIAL for me...lol! They want a happy, joyful mom and Sweetheart wants a sweet wife!

So yes, I think God is telling us something...what do you think?
BE JOYFUL, RESTED, AND BLESSED OF GOD THIS DAY!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Yep! That was my word from the Lord this morning... Let it go! There is so much Joy when we give things over to God and trust Him to walk with us in truth...soaking up His presence!!
    Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first stop by and so enjoyed your entry. I'm with you on the early morning time alone with God. It's the only way for me. I started that when our son was born 34 years ago. It was the only time that I knew I could "steal away" and the habit has stuck ever since.

    Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Linda. How true. I never thought of the fact that Jesus could have done everything for her. Now that makes me think.....Thanks for linking up on Caffeinated Randomness. It's great to see your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true! The days when I have time with the Lord in the morning somehow turn out to be a lot better than other days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. As much as I desire to be Mary, I am much more often a stressed out, frustrated, overwhelmed Martha. I even realize what I am doing sometimes and cannot seem to just stop! I so want to just have that sweet abandoned that Mary had! I will say, however that my morning quiet time is ESSENTIAL...can't get along without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this encouragement. Having the discipline to spend that time with God has been very lacking in my life of late. I know how critical that time is to hearing God speak to me. Again, thank you for the reminder that some of the other things I'm doing aren't as vital as the time with God.

    ReplyDelete