Friday, April 17, 2009

Loving Dad!

This is an older pic of all our children with my dad. Precious memories!

Today is a good day! We, 2 of the kids and I, went over to see my dad at the nursing home of sorts where he stays. Gorgeous sunny day and we were able to walk with him around the patio area where he can go! We helped him finish a 100-piece puzzle and brought him a much bigger 500-piece puzzle!! They will be getting him a small table for his room so that he can work on the puzzle as he likes. I also took him a God's Word translation Bible. You see, my dad received Jesus as his Lord and Savior on Good Friday last week and he likes to read a bit so I thought, what better book to bring him. I didn't think the KJV would be all that easy for him to understand, so I looked at this version and it seems as if he will enjoy it! He said it was nice and thank you!
I am thrilled that my dad will be able to be with Mom someday in heaven. It was a burden on my heart and to be quite honest, I wasn't sure that I was the one that would be talking to him about Christ.
Last Friday as I was thinking about going to visit him, the Holy Spirit whispered in my ear, "Today is the day!"
My first thought was of fear. What if he rejects it? Can I bring up the subject? Will it be a bother to him to talk about? I decided that since it was Resurrection weekend, that I could use that as an opener. (or should I say that the Holy Spirit decided!! LOL!) How wonderful our great God is! He is so patient with us. He gives us the ideas and ways to do His will.
I went over claiming 2 Timothy 1:7. "I have not been given the spirit of fear! But of power and love and a sound mind!" I made a decision that if God wanted this to be the day of Dad's salvation, then by golly, He(God) was going to have to enable me with the courage to do so!
Fear bolted away from me and it was as if I was just lovingly led the way to speak. His words, my mouth. Praise be to God!! Dad's heart was open and he just stepped on over into the Kingdom of God! I shouted praises to God all the way home!!!!!!!!!

We must cherish our years with our older/elderly parents. They have earned our respect and our honor towards them. Time as we know it is too short for us to neglect who is right in front of us.. whether it be a parent or child or spouse...whoever. God loves people and we MUST press in to show love to others no matter what. God has great things in store for them and for us when we obey!

1 comment:

  1. II Timothy 1:7 is one of my favorite verses to claim! Praise God for the good report and that the power, love and sound mind flowed from your heart. I am rejoicing with you!!!

    ReplyDelete