Saturday, January 29, 2011

Parenting Without Guilt

Do you ever feel that you just don't measure up to being the mom or wife that you think you should be?
Do you have a mental picture of a family that you know that seems perfect that pervades your mind everytime you discipline your kids or talk to your husband?
Are you always second-guessing yourself after you have talked to/corrected your kids and dealt out the consequenses for their actions?
Do you feel the guilt?

I am here to tell you that it is all a lie...a deception. I am not saying that there are not times that you should apologize to your family when you lose your cool or say something that you KNOW you shouldn't have said in anger....what I am telling you is this.....
.....if you are doing the very best you know to do....if you are walking with the Lord and listening to Him as the Holy Spirit leads you....if you are spending time with God and His Word and obeying it.....if your heart is for God...
then hear me now.....
the guilt is not yours to keep. Romans 8:1....read this....read it in different translations. Soak in this verse.

The devil is a liar. He cannot put condemnation and guilt on you anymore if you have decided that you are not gonna take it anymore.

Look, I have tried to be the perfect mom. I ain't it. I am never gonna BE it. We adopted 4 kids after our own 3 and I thought we could change the lives of these kids. I know they are our children and that God sent them to us to raise, but I know that I have messed up big time at times. I KNOW it.
Sometimes when I correct our kids, the guilt comes right away to tell me that I was too harsh...even when I never raised my voice. When we deal out consequences and the kids have to miss out on something other kids don't have to. When we have to stick to our guns and NOT give in on some things. I hate that guilt and I am not gonna take it anymore. Can you relate?!
I have finally figured it out that I am doing the best I can and I can't be anyone else. I am not the passive parent. I am very much involved. Yes, I can and do lower my voice....yes, I do choose my battles and decide to let some things go, but I am a good mom. I know that God chose me to be the mom to our 7 children. We have 3 kids that have grown and moved out. Did they all make right choices when they left to be on their own? No. Am I totally responsible? No.
Our kids, no matter how good a parent we are or how bad...they have choices to make on their own. Our job is to guide them and give good advice. We CANNOT make those choices for them. A big point here.....PRAY FOR YOUR FAMILIES!!!
As a wife, I am looking forward to the day when Sweetheart and I have alone time. Will I miss our kids after they move out? Certainly! But they are not my #1 priority. Are you shocked that I said that? Don't be. God gave us our mates 1st. That relationship comes first. If it deteriorates, kids don't thrive.
Back to the subject.
Do what you can, the best you can...when you raise your kids. God's grace will make up where you missed it. Your kids know you love them and they know you aren't perfect. That is where apologizing when you need to comes in. They will notice. They will see that you are fair, consistent, and loving. They will remember this and will carry that into their own families someday.

Enjoy raising your kids. Enjoy the journey and don't let the devil steal the joy in your life. Trust God and LIVE!!
Psalm 113:9

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I sure can relate, to all of this! The devil is such a liar, and he wants us to throw our hands up in the air and give up. Thank goodness the Lord's mercies are new every morning, or I don't know where I'd be. I've had to start fresh so many times, I've lost count.
    And like you said, we need to enjoy our kids. I've found that makes all the difference some days.

    Would you be interested in joining me on Thursday's for Mama's Heart? It's a link up where mothers share what's on their mama's hearts. I'd love to have you weigh in and share. Here's a link for more information if you're interested: http://www.itsgrace.com/?page_id=293

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete